Here are some facts about the golden retriever dog breed.
One of the most famous and well-loved dog breed is the golden retriever and here are some facts about this gentle giant companion.
Dogs are loved and known for their loyalty. Having one can bring owners physical and psychological benefits. It makes people less lonely, loved, wanted, needed, and less depressed. Just simply petting them and stroking their coat are already enough to make us feel good.
Some of the health benefits of owning a dog are:
- provide companionship
- help you be more active
- make kids calmer, more secure, and more responsible
- improve the lives of older individuals
- help you be calmer, more mindful, and more present in your life
- make you more social and less isolated
- ease stress
One of the dog breeds that are famous in the Philippines is the golden retriever. This breed is know for being highly intelligent and active. They are often called “Goldens” and they make wonderful family dogs. Their thick coat is distinct in neck, thighs, tail, and back of the legs.
This breed was developed in Scotland in the 19th century. They have this sturdy and muscular body and they were originally bred for a physically demanding job such as retrieving ducks and other fowl for hunters.
What to expect in having a golden?
- They are generally healthy dogs but owners must look out for elbow and hip dysplasia and other health conditions like juvenile cataracts, pigmentary uveitis, and progressive retinal atrophy, and heart disease.
- Because they have this thick coat, they heavily shed. If you want a breed that is more low maintenance, there are dog breeds that don’t shed. Their nails must also be trimmed regularly.
- A golden is a sporting breed which is why they need plenty of daily exercise. Lack of exercise may lead them to develop unwanted behaviors like.
- Just like with all breeds, early socialization and training is recommended. Start ’em young, they say.
- This breed is gentle, friendly, intelligent, trainable, playful, energetic, loyal, devoted, has a sweet and calm nature and a great companion.
- Males can grow as big as 23 to 24 inches tall and weigh 65 to 75 pounds while for females, they can be as tall as 21.5 to 22.5 inches and weigh from 55 to 65 pounds.
- Their life span is from 10 to 12 years.
What can you say about this? Let us know in the comments!